Educating for Business

DECA learns business for the future and earns a spot in their State competition

Photo Provided by: Amber Brantner Sophomores Nathaniel Viscioni and Mitchell Stehno prepare for DECA state competitions.

Leadership, communication and networking skills are useful tactics that can help one go far in the real world. Students at NHS who join DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America) often find themselves preparing for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management.
Junior Jazmin Hohmann is a member of DECA and is planning to pursue a career in business.
“I joined DECA because it is a great way to gain experience and insight to how a professional business workplace will be,” Hohmann said. “I get to learn quick and creative thinking in a fun environment with people who are fun to be around.”
Meetings for DECA fall on the first Tuesday of every month after school. Hohmann said the meetings are informative, and a lot of work gets done.
“We let everyone know the new information of what is going on,” Hohmann said. “We plan fun events for members to build and strengthen relationships, which is an important part of DECA.”
Marketing teacher Amber Brantner is the sponsor for DECA. She said she is always excited to see students put their DECA skills to use in real-life situations.
“Students should join DECA,” Brantner said. “Not only is it fun and a great way to make new friends, it also will set you up for success in whatever career you choose to pursue after graduation.”
The club made it to the State competition this year after their achievements in Districts. State competitions were held virtually March 19-23.
“District competition involves a combination of a written component, such as an exam or report, and a video presentation with an industry professional serving as a judge,” Brantner said. “The top two or three, depending on the category, move on to State.”
State events were held on Zoom, where Hohmann and her partner presented a Business Management Operations Research Project.
Junior Isaiah Holgerson, another member of DECA, also competed in the State competition this year. Although he was only a first year member, he was determined to learn as much as he could.
His hard work paid off, as he won first place.
“Although it was an obstacle to try to figure out how it all worked, it allowed me to compete in a Principles event, an event reserved only for first-year members,” Holgerson said. “That was both nice and challenging, as the event is easier and the competition is less experienced, but because of that, it is more popular. My experience competing in FBLA and speech and debate played a large role in enabling me to step above the competition.”
Despite the nervousness for state, Hohmann said she was prepared to face her competition. Being in DECA helped her grow relationships and memories.
“[DECA] has built my confidence in business vocabulary and public speaking which can help me in my future business career,” Hohmann said. “I am looking forward to seeing what I can accomplish in my future with the skills I have learned through doing DECA.”