Advancing in Theatre

Many graduated students speak highly of the Nixa Drama Department, and the current students do everything they can to convince more kids to join the community. 

Senior Avery Hudgens has advanced through all the classes in the department reaching Dual Credit, or DC, theatre.

“It was fairly easy to get into classes with auditions. I will admit that it is very nerve-racking to audition in front of peers for a class, but everyone is very understanding and supportive throughout the process,” Hudgens said. “I think that drama is a perfect way to become comfortable with yourself, your surroundings, and others. We do many movement exercises that seem strange at first but help with getting comfortable with peers and when performing.”

Hudgens expressed that DC Intro has proved to be one of her favorite classes.

“This is a college-level course, and so the content is much more mature and engaging,” Hudgens said. “I have learned so much about myself and the world around me because of this class. The class explores the different aspects of theatre and art and how we can apply them to the stage and our life.”

Senior Sophia Kettelkamp similarly advanced through the department, even becoming a teacher’s assistant for Mrs. Fleetwood.

“Being a teacher’s assistant is really cool because I get to interact with the underclassmen, the people I’m leaving this major part of my life to, almost every day,” Kettelkamp said. “Throughout the year these students have proven that they are the perfect people to be handed the torch.”

Kettelkamp talked about what she learned from theatre.

“Drama taught me how to be myself and be comfortable no matter where I am,” she said. “I have completely broken out of my shell and I’m not sure if that could happen without theatre.”

One thing any student can take away from drama is community.

“The one thing that I wish I would have found out earlier in my high school career is that you are not alone in your negative thoughts and feelings,” Hudgens said. “Oftentimes people feel like they are alone with low self-esteem and poor mental health but there are always others who are going through similar things that you can relate to and connect with.”

Kettelkamp reiterated Hudgens’s idea.

“Theatre has an amazing sense of community,” she said. “Everywhere you go, people want you to be included. Other groups and teams are the same, but I’ve never experienced it like I have in theatre.”