Embrace Friendship Breakthroughs

This issue of Wingspan explores the activities that are both positive and negative when it comes to developing good relationships. Throughout high school, it is normal to lose friends and to gain new ones.
Friendships are not always the easiest. When starting high school, people usually have had the same friends since elementary school and always tell one another cliches, claiming to always be a part of each other’s lives.
While sometimes people do end up staying friends, that is not always the case. It is easy to make new friends and lose connections as time goes on, due to more classes and activities.
High school provides many different opportunities: from choir and band to football and ice skating. See more about ice skating on Page 23. Finding friends who all have the same interest is easy. Keeping friends who are interested in different activities is the hard part.
High school revolves around friendships — from hyping each other up on social media to procrastinating homework in order to squeeze in last minute plans. However, it is easy to unknowingly fall into the wrong group of people.
Most of the time, it is hard to tell when one is in a toxic friendship. It’s easy to maintain such relationships for status or to combat loneliness. High school creates a highly competitive environment, making it easy for jealousy to thrive. Indirect confrontation, such as social media, is often used to create drama within groups. See Page 11 for more about the stress that can come from social media.
Holding on to toxic friendships might cause unwanted consequences, like unhealthy habits or trends, such as those seen on Page 9, that go against one’s character. Such changes can cause negative personality changes that may lead to future regret.
It can become challenging to break away from toxicity. Separating oneself from a familiar environment can be stressful. However, prioritizing one’s own happiness will ultimately lead to more growth — new opportunities elicit positive change.
Having fewer and more loyal friends is better than being popular or maintaining a big group. Superficial friendships never last, and often lead to more pain than happiness. Prioritizing the people that prioritize you is ultimately the better choice. Friendships should give each person a sense of belonging and acceptance, not the other way around.
No matter who people end up making friends with, the most important thing is to make sure to make positive memories that can last a lifetime.

The Wingspan Editorial Board is comprised of Katelynn Gibson, Gracie Schwarz, Braden Dennis, Darby Allen and Eli Dean.