The Gift of Giving

Informing NHS students about the joys of giving back during Christmas

The Gift of Giving

Many are told during the holidays that it is better to give than to receive. Students at Nixa High School might wonder how they can help. Salvation Army’s Christmas Program and Adopt-A-Family are two of many ways one can give back.
Kristina Witt, a social worker at Salvation Army, explains how they serve during the holidays.
“We actually do a Christmas program that has a day of distribution in December,” Witt said. “Families sign up for gifts and food for their children, and the parents get to walk around and choose something for their kids. On average over 500 families, or 2,000 people, are helped.¨
The NHS band has been donating to the Adopt-A-Family program for over 20 years. Craig Finger, the band instructor, explains why, as well as how.
“We are very blessed in the band program to be supported by our community,” Finger said. “This is a very small way that we can give back to those in need. We do a simple donation drive by the students. If each student gives $5-$10 each we can really make an impact in a family’s life.”
Joy Breig, a senior in band, talks about how much a little generosity can help.
“My favorite thing about Adopt-A-Family is how a little can go a long way,” Breig said. “Often, people don’t give because they don’t feel like the little they have would do much. Because we have 236 students in our band, if we each gave even one dollar, there’s already $236. If we each give $5, there would be $1,180, and I know there are people who give more than that. We can substantially help out a family, and I think that’s cool.”
Witt says there are other ways students and their families can help.
“People can call here [and] ask to talk to Pamela, she sets up volunteers to help walk families through, which helps distribution day go smoother,” Witt said. “[People can help by] donating gifts, volunteering time for distribution day or helping cook or serve Christmas and Thanksgiving lunch.”
Breig says that it is important to help others during the holidays.
“While I do think people should help out someone in need at all times of the year, the holidays are a special time for this,” Breig said. “Traditionally, the holiday season is not cheap — between large family gatherings and meals as well as presents for loved ones. Those that struggle financially, for any reason, recognize their struggles more obviously when they are unable to provide for their families as others can.It’s an opportunity to step in, show them they are not forgotten by the people around them and support them in any way possible.”
Supporting those in the community who need help can give one a new outlook.
“I hope the students see [the] value,” Finger said. “I spend time talking to them about the importance of giving back and showing kindness to those that are not as fortunate as ourselves. It has helped me realize that while we don’t always see the need in Nixa as obviously as others, there are families out there that struggle. And we can help.”
One might doubt whether volunteering or donating will be worth it. Breig says that there are reasons why it is.
“For me, at least, giving is never something that I regret,” Breig said. “I’m never going to look back and regret providing food for someone who cannot afford it that week nor will I regret buying a toy for a child whose family is financially struggling. Right now the world is kind of crazy, and I think acts of love and hope are exactly what all of us need.”