Educate yourself and make a difference

Contentious extremism on both sides of the fence characterized the 2020 presidential election. In response, more people voted for the presidency than in any other election before it, with close to 160 million casting their votes. For comparison, if you jammed everyone who voted in the 2020 election into Arrowhead Stadium, you would have to fill the stadium 2,094 times before everyone would get inside, and assuming they’re all there to watch Patrick Mahomes, they would need to wait 204 years to even get a nosebleed seat if there were ten football games a year, long after the United States we live in now is considered bleak history.
The point is, a lot of people voted, but how do we as Americans build on that? This year, two years after one of the most contentious elections in our nation’s history, America can go to the polls and vote on Senators and House members to shape how the next two years go.
Now, for some, Nov. 8 just means a day off of school. A large majority of students at Nixa High School can’t vote, but it is still important to be informed about the issues that impact you. The legislative branch passes laws that sometimes impact those who don’t have a voice on a ballot just yet. It is vital to stay informed on who your state leaders are. Informed voting is crucial to democracy.
The politicians you elect can also make big differences in your state or community, so it’s important to choose which candidates align with your beliefs. Whether it be restricting what goes in school libraries or aiding foreign students, these politicians determine what is important and how it should be handled.
Local elections can be easily ignored, but often have important issues that more closely affect the citizens of a city, county or state. For example, Nixa has proposed a sales tax increase that you can read more about on page 5. This affects every item you buy in Nixa, from as large as a house to as small as a cookie. These changes are important to pay attention to, especially if you or your family has made Nixa their forever home.
Even if you are too young to vote, you still have the ability to advocate for or against these proposals. This can get you more involved in your community, and help build research and advocacy skills for when you are old enough to officially cast your ballot. Students have so much passion, from football to music to baking. So, why not put some of that passion into your community?

The editorial board is comprised of Eli Dean, Justice Jones, Lydia Cheek and Maddie McCrea.