Spanish Club bridges cultures

Spanish Club is a club at Nixa High School where students can learn about different cultures and languages they normally wouldn’t get to learn. Everyone is allowed to participate – Spanish and non-Spanish students alike – the club meets in Ashley Dense’s room every other week.

The club’s teacher sponsor, Dense, has provided students with an environment where they can learn about Spanish culture.

“We always do something related to Hispanic cultures, whether it’s celebrating a holiday that’s celebrated there or some games,” Dense said.

Spanish Club goes on trips that the average student taking a Spanish class wouldn’t get to go on.

“Recently we went to a Day of the Dead festival at Missouri State. … The students got to try Mexican foods and watch live mariachi music,” Dense said.

The president of the Spanish Club, Sailor Powley, joined the club last year to learn more about Spanish culture.

“It’s a place where other cultures can mix and learn about other Hispanic countries,” Powley said.

The vice president of the Spanish Club, Thomasina Brown, joined the club to learn more about the language and the culture.

“I joined Spanish club because I wanted to further enrich myself in the language and culture,” Brown said.