A Delayed Farewell

Prom and graduation dates and locations are still uncertain.

NHS Yearbook

The college fair was geared toward students who are nearing graduation.

Nixa High School seniors have been caught in a holding pattern while the world reacts to the COVID-19 pandemic. While prom and graduation are not cancelled, they have been postponed indefinitely, adding uncertainty for those who are eager to wear their caps and gowns.

Although uncertainty surrounds the event, they will take place. 

Nixa’s Superintendent Dr. Gearl Loden said he and administrators have been working to form a new plan for graduation, which was originally scheduled for May 10.

“We have been working behind the scenes on some dates and planning,” Loden said. “Our major goal is that, as soon as it’s safe, we have a traditional graduation for the students in the class of 2020.”

Loden gave three possible dates as of now for the delayed graduation. The first is June 12, June 26, and July 31, all held on Fridays in the week. Unlike previous graduations, if the date falls on either June 12 or June 26, the graduation will not take place at JQH Area.   

“[These will be held] at James River Church,” Loden said. “We would like to thank the church for allowing us to put these dates as tentative dates for our seniors.” 

With uncertainty focused around graduation and prom, Loden offers encouragement to the seniors.

“We’re going to do our best to make sure you have a dance for prom,” Loden said. “And that you’re able to graduate with a gown on in front of your parents and grandparents as soon as our government authorities allow us.” 

Brady Vaughan, student council president and senior, said he has worked with Principal Dr. David Kelly about rescheduling the senior events. 

“Prom was cancelled [due to COVID-19],” Vaughan said. “However, the student council has talked to Dr. Kelly and they are going to do everything in their power to try and make dates work.”

Student Council and administration have been working closely to aid in the rescheduling of senior events later into the summer, doing their best to allow the seniors their chance in the spotlight before they leave.

“The administration wants us to be able to have those senior events as a class,” Vaughan said. “This is so we can finish our senior year strong.”

Another senior development and project up in the air with uncertainty is Project Graduation.

“Project Grad is likely going to happen along with those other senior events,” Vaughan said. “Even if [Project Grad doesn’t] happen, they are likely to do something for us with that money, so we should get something out of Project Grad.”

The Student Council has been developing one of its own senior events to give the seniors one last memory before they leave.  

“Student council wanted to have one last memory for the senior class together,” Vaughan said. “We are going to try and set up a senior sunset when all of this has cleared up … so we can all be together for one last memory and watch the sunset together as a class.”